As originally posted on: https://www.arespectfullife.com/2017/07/01/pet-safety-4th-of-july/
10 Tips For Pet Safety During 4th of July
According to LostDogsOfAmerica.org more pets runaway on the 4th of July than any other day of the year. The Humane Society states that “animal shelters around the nation report a dramatic increase in lost pets during the Fourth Of July holiday”.
Between loud parties, strange guests, and loud fireworks, pets are out of their normal element. Often times we take them with us to picnics, the lake, and to places they are unfamiliar with. The fact is, animals cower at the sound of firecrackers and fireworks displays. The bright lights will often send them into panic mode. Their desire to escape these sights and sounds make runaway pets common on this National holiday.
Here are a 10 quick tips to help you ensure your pet safety during the Independence Day Holiday:
1. Always Tag Your Pets! Virtually every pet store and many grocery stores now have pet tags or automated machines that create pet tags for under $10.00. There is no reason why every pet that can go outdoors should not have a collar and tag. You can also get tage on Amazon for a whopping $3.70 CLICK HERE http://amzn.to/2syLDVQ
2. Leave Your Pets At Home! Loud crowded venues and Fireworks displays are terrifying for pets. Don’t bring your pets to these events.
3. Get Your Dogs Outdoors! PRIOR to Fireworks take them for some exercise and to go potty.
4. Keep Your Pets Indoors! During all Fireworks, keep your pets indoors and try to close all open windows and curtains if possible.
5. Give Your Pets Something To Do! During fireworks, make sure they have their favorite toys and something to chew on.
6. Give Your Pets a Safe Place! Some pets will hide and it often helps if they have a bed or crate that they are comfortable in.
7. Get Your Pet Therapy! If you happen to have a pet that is sound phobic, you can try music that is calming and therapeutic. There is a product available that is a calming aid to dogs called: PetNC Natural Care Calming Formula Soft Chews http://amzn.to/2ubxKik
8. Avoid Chemicals! I know this sounds like a no brainer, but insect repellents, sunscreen, and things like citronella candles are unnatural for pets. Only use pet approved products.
9. Try The ThunderShirt! For overly anxious dogs there is a product called ThunderShirt – Click HERE. http://amzn.to/2tcVPFn Here is the review by CBS News on the product: https://youtu.be/2Km2VqyJjXI
10. If Your Pet Is Lost: The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA®) has an app that can help you locate your pet at https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/general-pet-care/aspca-mobile-app . In addition, The Humane Society has the Center For Lost Pets at: http://www.thecenterforlostpets.com/
Thank you for taking time to read these tips. I am an animal lover and animal advocate. If you are interested in information about Veganism, please visit my Vegan Resource List. https://www.arespectfullife.com/govegan/